Spring is in the air here in Circleville and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Stephen Hurst Pack Heating and Cooling, Inc team has some tips that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post photos of your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Stephen Hurst Pack Heating and Cooling, Inc in Circleville a call at 740-474-5940.